AOL now offers a free web based email to anyone interested in signing up even if using an internet connection from any other service provider other than AOL. The email service used to be strictly for members of AOL but now everyone can take advantage of its features including a calendar and an address book. You can access the AOL email using most of the browsers and e-mail software including Microsoft® Outlook. You can also access the email using mobile devices.
In order to get your free AOL.com e-mail account to start enjoying sending and receiving email messages as well as chatting with friends, follow the steps below:
- Go to the homepage at http://www.aol.com/ and at the top centre of the page you will find the “Sign up” link which upon clicking should take you to the following page.
- Enter your first name and last name, choose your preferred username and check for its availability before proceeding to create a strong password and then clicking the “Next” button to go to the following page.
- Fill in the few requested personal details and to help protect your AOL email account choose a security question for which you have to provide an answer. Your mobile number is optional but also helps in the protection of your account as text messages can be send to you if needed.
- After clicking the “Next” button you are taken to 2 more screens where you just enter some characters to confirm you are a real person, and then you end up at the AOL homepage. Close to the top left corner of the page you should locate and click the “Mail” icon which should take you to a welcome screen.
- You can now access the main AOL mail page which looks as shown below and start enjoying various features for creating and sending mails all at the same place.
The new free AOL.com email features an exciting look with a very user-friendly interface that allows you to easily locate the various features you need to organize and perform mailing tasks. You can easily increase the area where your email messages are listed by collapsing the side pane while browsing through messages is simple with the reading pane turned on.
The e-mail address from AOL.com comes with protection enabled against spam and viruses not to mention the free unlimited storage which allows you to keep your mails for as long as you need them. It is possible for previous members of AOL to reclaim their former screen names.